No one should have to suffer needlessly after being in a car accident. If you or someone you love is questioning their legal options after they were a victim of a serious wreck, a Lexington car accident lawyer from Golden Law Office can help you receive answers as to why the accident occurred and potentially receive compensation that can aid the process of recover. We’re on your side.
When tragedy strikes and you find yourself trying to recover from injuries sustained in a car accident that was not your fault, a thousand thoughts run through your head. You wonder how long your recovery will be and how long you may have to take off work. You wonder how your insurance company and/or the other driver’s insurance company can cover every cost your injuries are requiring. These worries can cause you additional stress which can delay the healing process and make matters worse.
The good news is that you may have legal options. In the state of Kentucky, when a car accident is caused by another’s negligent, careless, or otherwise reckless actions or inaction, the victim may be eligible to seek legal aid and file a lawsuit against the guilty party. Personal injury lawsuits are civil claims and can aid the recovery process significantly while allowing you to receive answers for questions you may have about the wreck itself and why it happened.
A successful lawsuit can open many doors for recovering victims and potentially provide financial assistance to pay for the following:
- Post, current, and future medical expenses relating to the crash
- Past and future wage loss
- Pain and suffering, including emotion and mental stress
- Liability disputes
In addition, your claim may help prevent the driver who caused the accident to stop and rethink their actions the next time they’re tempted to get behind the wheel while drunk or make a careless decision while on the road. Lawsuits can be powerful and oftentimes correct wrongful behaviors, thereby protecting future drivers, passengers, and everyone who walks or bikes near streets and roadways.
To learn more, let’s first go over some facts about car accidents and how often they happen in Kentucky:
By the Numbers: Kentucky Car Accidents Statistics
Kentucky sees more fatalities on the road that are completely preventable than most residents would like to believe. According to the Kentucky Office of Highway Safety, 782 people in Kentucky lost their lives in traffic fatalities in our state during 2016. That number has risen steadily over the past few years. In 2015, we only saw 761 fatalities, in comparison.
In and around Lexington alone, there were 94 traffic fatalities between the period of January 2017 to March 2nd, 2018. That puts Lexington as the city and surrounding area with the second-most fatalities in all of Kentucky. Coming in first place is Louisville.
Lexington is also home to some of the most dangerous intersections and interstates in our state. I-71 and I-75 are among the most dangerous highways in Kentucky, and according to a 2012 study conducted by the state police, most fatal car accidents in and around Lexington occur at intersections. Some of the most dangerous intersections—the ones with the most accidents during that year—include the following:
- South Broadway at West Vine Street
- Alumni Drive at Man O’ War Boulevard
- Man O’ War at Pink Pigeon
To see the complete list, you can do so here.
Why Do Most Car Accidents Happen in Kentucky?
Why have the above statistics continued to climb year after year even though our motor vehicles are technologically safer than they’ve ever? This is a question everyone must ask themselves when it comes to looking at auto safety as a whole, but also when thinking about any recent accidents they may have seen or were personally involved in.
Here are some of the top causes for car accidents in Kentucky and nationwide:
- Drunk Driving – According to the Kentucky Office of Highway Safety, 137 of the 782 crash fatalities in Kentucky during 2016 involved alcohol use. This amounts to 17.5% which is a considerable percentage considering the fact that getting behind the wheel while intoxicated is completely preventable and illegal.
- Speeding – Speeding is one of the leading causes of most car accidents nationwide. Whenever a driver speeds, it becomes more difficult for them to slow down or stop should an emergency occur.
- Failing to Follow Traffic Laws – When traffic laws or posted signs are not correctly followed, a crash can quickly result. Accidents are often caused when a driver decides that they are exempt from the rules. Common ways this occurs is when a driver follows another car too closely, when right-of-way laws are not followed, and when unsafe U-turns are made.
- Distracted Driving – When a driver is distracted by an incoming text, a smartphone app, a meal they’re enjoying, or even a conversation happening inside their car, they may take their eyes off the road for just long enough to cause an accident.
Common Car Accident Injuries
Car crash injuries can vary significantly, but some of the most common resulting injuries or impairments include the following:
- Broken bones and puncture wounds
- Internal bleeding
- Neck or head injury, including whiplash
- Brain injuries
- Spine or back injury
- Burn injuries
- Emotional or mental suffering that may lead to conditions like anxiety, depression, or PTSD
If you’ve suffered from any of the above injuries that have seriously affected your life and/or will have lasting implications/require long-term medical care, you may find it difficult to get the compensation you need to make a full recovery. It’s in these instances when a Lexington car accident lawyer may be able to help you the most. Similarly, if you’ve lost a loved one in a serious car accident, a lawyer can help you file a wrongful death lawsuit that may help a grieving family seek and find closure.
How Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Lexington, KY Help Me?
When you meet with an attorney from Golden Law Office, you’ll be able to get legal advice confidentially and quickly. We offer consultations for free and do not charge you anything upfront. Our Lexington car wreck lawyers have the experience your claim deserves. We can help you navigate any complex insurance settlements and speak on your behalf in court if necessary to prove that negligence occurred and that you were not at fault.
The right legal help can deliver peace of mind. If you’re questioning your legal options after being involved in a car crash in Kentucky, don’t hesitate to reach out to our office.