When you bring an item into your home, you want it to be as safe as possible for you and your family. While most household items are harmless and do what you need them to do, some can become dangerous if they’re fire hazards.
If a product malfunctions and causes a fire in your home, then you could have a product liability claim against the seller, manufacturer, or company responsible for the product and its defects. A lawyer from Golden Law Office can help you hold the negligent party responsible for their actions so you can get justice for the damages you suffered.
Let’s take a look at some of the household items that can become fire hazards so you’re more prepared and can prevent a fire from starting in your home.
Household Items That Could Be Fire Hazards
When common household items can become fire hazards, it can be shocking. You use these products frequently, so you don’t think of them as being potentially devastating for your family. The U.S. Fire Administration reports that there were over 1 million house fires in 2018. In those fires, there were nearly 4,000 deaths and over 15,000 injuries suffered. The cost of all of these fires was over $25 billion, which adds even more devastation to a family than the physical losses alone.
Here are some of the items that you should watch out for that could be fire hazards and could be dangerous in your home so you can protect yourself and your family from the devastation of a house fire:
- Dryer Lint. Even if you clean out the lint trap after every use, you still need to check the dryer vent for lint buildup. Lint is composed of dry fibers from the fabrics that you put in the dryer, which means that they are highly flammable if they get too hot or there is a spark. If you don’t clean out lint regularly and thoroughly enough, it could be a fire hazard.
- Extension Cords. While extension cords have many open plugs for you to use, it’s important not to overload the cord because it could be potentially dangerous. Since electricity is coursing through the strip, it can be a fire hazard if there are too many plugs in the strip.
- Stoves. Stoves are essential for homes, but when left on or used incorrectly, they can become fire hazards. Cooking was the leading cause of fires, which shows that stoves can be dangerous even when they’re used by the most experienced cooks. When grease is involved, it can lead to fires that spread quickly and can’t be put out with water.
- Outdoor Grills. Even though they’re not indoors, grills can also be fire hazards for houses. If the grill gets too hot, catches fire, or throws sparks, it could cause a fire. If the grill is powered by gas, then it could be even more dangerous and cause an explosion.
- Candles. Many people enjoy burning candles in their homes to create a warm and welcoming environment. However, they can start fires if they are left to burn without supervision. If a child or pet knocks the candle over, it throws off sparks, or it burns into the surface it’s on, it could cause a fire in your home.
It’s important to regularly inspect everything you use in your home to make sure that it’s still safe. Be vigilant when lighting fires, using products that heat up, or any electrical product—this could save you from a fire starting in your home.
We Can Represent You
Sometimes house fires start from your own negligence, but sometimes they are the result of a defective product that was a fire hazard. When you’ve used a product as it was intended to be used and it caused a fire in your home, then you could use the help of a product liability lawyer from Golden Law Office. We’ll look into what happened and determine who was at fault, whether it was the manufacturer, company, or seller of the item.
You shouldn’t have to deal with the effects of a house fire caused by a defective product on your own. We’re here to ensure that you get the justice you deserve and receive full and fair compensation for your damages. Contact us so we can start discussing your potential claim today.